Mucho Modern in Calgary


We did it folks, we bought a new house!!  I don't think I have ever spent so much money so quickly in my life.  Strike that - I am absolutely 100% certain that I have never spent so much money in my life in such a short amount of time.  If I think too much about it, it makes me a little bit ill... so we'll move on.

Here's the scoop:  Last weekend, my husband and I flew out to Calgary after work on Friday, and after dropping our kids off at our AMAZINGLY generous friends' house for 2 nights.  Saturday morning we were up bright and early to explore Calgary with our agent.  At this point our Toronto house was already on sale.

Now if you had asked me about Calgary a few months ago, I would not have been able to tell you anything, other than my opinion that it needed some more trees (lots more trees).  After finding out that we were moving there, I spent hours, and hours, and hours online.  I think I could identify just about any neighbourhood in the city in under 5 seconds at this point, and also tell you the name of the closest French Immersion school, how many minutes it would take you to ride a bike downtown, and how far the closest Starbucks is.  I had that whole every-street-is-a-number and streets-go-one-way-and-avenues-go-another-way-and-don't-forget-about-the-quadrants thing DOWN.  I have my mls/Google Maps/CalgarySchoolFinder black belt, and I know how to use it.

Up until last weekend though, I had never physically been in 99% of the places we were looking.  Luckily, Calgary is wonderfully small!  I mean that in the best way possible - we wanted to be "downtown" and were stressing about one area versus another, but really, they are all pretty close, and it is very easy to get around town.


Our agent and I had determined a short list of houses we wanted to see - I think 12?  (... not sure who I am asking...)  When we walked in this one, our jaws hit the floor.  HIT. THE. FLOOR.  We loved it! But... it was a bit further from downtown, and more than we were going to spend... yada yada yada.  We said we would think about it.  The next day we saw a few new ones that were great contenders, and then went back to look at this one again.  I got tingles.  That evening, we sat at the pub down the street and enjoyed local craft beer while signing our offer document.  It took our agent all of a minute to print them off - he had already filled in all the information for this house the night before.  He knew.  I guess I am an open book.

We put in a low offer hoping that we could bring the price down a bit (yes, you can do this in Calgary!).  When the sellers didn't budge much, we/I got cold feet and decided to drop it.  Yup, just like that.  It was just too nice for us.

Instead we focussed our attention on the "perfect-on-paper" runner up.  The neighbourhood for house #2 was amazing - Chris could walk to work.  We would be near friends of ours, and the school was great.  The house was overpriced, according to our guy, and we could get it for much less than the first place.  It was ugly - DAMN ugly - but heck, there would be lots to blog about!  The before and after pictures would be killer.  It was the responsible thing to do.  However... when they got our offer, I guess the sellers had decided they weren't so keen to sell after all.  They didn't budge on price, and they extended the possession date to the middle of the summer.  This would not work.

I don't think I had even processed this bit of information before Chris was back on the phone to our agent telling him we wanted the first house!  A day or so later, my finger nails were gone, and we were the new owners.  Apparently there are Real Estate Fairy Godmothers, and I have one. (Thank you thank you REFG!)

Before I show you all the pics, let me begin by saying that I am pretty sure we are not worthy of this house.  I can imagine walking in with our stuff, only to have the house twist itself up and spit me and my Value Village/Ikea As-Is finds back out onto the street.  It is so beautiful.  I don't know what the heck I am going to blog about, because I don't even think I will paint the damn walls.


It is a semi-detached, or duplex.  I never thought I would spend so much to live in half of a house, but this is 80% of what is available in Calgary - brand new enormous duplexes.  Our half is on the right.


Please note that this house has been staged for these photos impeccably.  It was empty when we looked at it, but now I can't imagine it with any furniture other than this stuff.


The kitchen makes me want to be a better person.  Or at least a better cook.  Notice how it is similar to ours with the wood on the bottom and white lacquer on top?  And there the similarities end...


There is so much storage in this freakin kitchen I think I am going to have to keep some of my clothes there.


So... yeah.  I know.  It's obscene.  It's ridiculous.  I don't even.... words fail me.  By some amazing twist in the fabric of reality, I will (soon!) be living in this house.  Surrounded by all those BIG TREES. (I'll take my words with a side of mayo, thank you...) Twenty minutes from downtown by bike, ten by car.  With a yoga studio down the street.  Basking like a cat in all that LIGHT.  I am beside myself!

Anyone wanna come visit?

46 comments:

  1. Hooray! CONGRATS!!!! Looks like a warm & bright house! All the best for a happy move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks Jordana! Gosh, it is going to be so strange to be so far away from all my blogging buddies, even if we hardly see each other. :) Good thing we have the internet...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll be brunching with the Calgary bloggers in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful house. Welcome to Calgary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy for you, my friend. I can't wait to see you add your touch to this beautiful blank canvas. Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely house! Congrats to you, your hubby and your kiddos. I love hearing about people who get the home of their dreams!
    I'm jealous of all the light :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great buy Lisa! It's beautiful - perfectly matched with your lovely family

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa, it's gorgeous! And perfectly suited for your amazing decorating abilities. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy crap Lisa! That is one beautiful house - I can't wait to see what it looks like when you've moved in and put your spin on it. It's going to be even better.

    Good luck to you guys in Calgary!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats Lisa! It is so you and I mean that in a very good way. Thanks for popping by my blog today because I would have no idea otherwise that you are moving. When do you leave? We'll have to have a get together with Tim, Jen, etc. before you go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOO HOO!! What a house! Very excited for you and your family as you make the big move :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a fabulous adventure and a great house!! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Such an incredible house. Hello, Calgary! You can just keep on posting photos of your house. People will want to read :) congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh, at first I thought this was a dream house we were all going to pine for. It took me a minute to realize it's YOURS now. These photos are making me drool. What a gorgeous space. Words fail me. It's just simply stunning. Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. congratulations on the house, lisa! it's gorgeous. can't wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's it. I'm moving in & I can keep my clothes in your kitchen. Or maybe I'll move into the shed. Even THAT looks awesome :)

    Your house is AMAZING. The huge windows... the impeccable and NEW materials... the space... I. Just. Can't. Your Ikea and thrifty goods will look great in that space and bring life and love to it.

    So happy for you. What a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is incredible. Insanely amazing. I'm so glad you got it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. absolutely gorgeous house! Your furniture and your beautiful family will make it more friendly and real, I am sure! I am secretly jealous of all the desecrate storage in your house! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Barbara! It is exciting, and I am loving the house!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Me too Janice - I still have to pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Chryl! It's a little daunting to tell you the truth, but I am excited to make it 'ours'!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aw thanks Tanya! The way they staged it sure made it look like a show home. Thank heavens it wasn't here when we looked at it or I would have offered anything! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Heather! I haven't been taking too many photos cause it is such a disaster around here - I can't wait until it get presentable again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Amelia - it is exciting and terrifying!

    ReplyDelete
  25. WAAAH I am so sad we didn't get to hook up before I left Vanessa. However, I'll be back for BlogPodium in September, so lets make sure we get some drinks in!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks Jess! I don't know about better, but it will be ours (I hope!)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Aw you are so sweet Steph. First come the boxes, then the decorating... right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you Frances! So sweet. You'll have to bring your lovely family out to visit! Stampede anyone? :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Michelle, the light is AMAZING. It makes me happy every single day!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks Michelle! I miss you already. When are you flying out for drinks? :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank so much Amy! I am loving your place - which is totally what I thought we would end up with. Funny how things change. What part of the city are you in?

    ReplyDelete
  32. WAH I am so sad that we didn't get a chance to get together before I left. But I'll be back in September for BlogPodium, so we will have to make sure we get some time then!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks so much Cheryl! It's a bit daunting, but I love a challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you so much Shadi! Having a brand new house is kind of awesome - I keep having to pinch myself!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you Amelia! It has been pretty stressful, but I am confident I am going to love it in Calgary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks Emiljia! I can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Aw thanks Heather - I have to get the boxes done and cleared away so I can start taking some more pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. You're so sweet Tanya! I agree, the way they styled it, it did look like a showhouse. It's a good thing all that stuff wasn't here when we looked at it, or I would have wanted to buy the furniture too!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks Barbara - it is exciting! Nothing like a new project to get the blood pumping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thank Janice! I am too - living in it now I realize that the other options were not really options in the end - this one was meant to be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. My dear Jen, you are your gorgeous family are welcome ANY TIME. We can put the kids in the kitchen cupboards and have a great time. :) But I am looking forward to seeing you in September!

    ReplyDelete
  42. it is truly gorgeous!! a tad be envious of the modern look ;) our new house isn't a fixer upper but it needs a new kitchen and lots of personality (new paint, ect)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment - they always make my day!