Post-Christmas Peace


OK, I have to admit that I am sitting here a bit stunned.  Has Christmas really come and gone in a flash?  It was such a mad rush around here getting ready for visitors, decorating, finishing up school, and putting the basement back together; then wrapping, stuffing, eating, unwrapping, eating, and more eating!  


The basement was finished in the very nick of time - I was doing the final clean of the bathroom when my in-laws drove in, exhausted from 6 days of driving here from Alberta.  So I haven't had much of a chance to sit back and enjoy it yet, but I look forward to doing just that, and snapping a few photos.  The next day I enjoyed a rousing Sing Along Messiah at Massey Hall (so much fun!) and was home in time to chat with my parents, who arrived at my brothers' after a 2-day drive up from New Brunswick.  


Christmas Eve we celebrated here with the Petriks, enjoying an amazing salmon dinner in the Czech tradition.  The next morning my folks stopped by to watch the boys open their ridiculous number of gifts and we had a yummy strada for brunch (my mother-in-law truly spoils us with her cooking!).  Later that evening I made my way to my brother's for our traditional turkey Christmas dinner and it was nice to hang out with my family. We all headed back to Malcolm's (my brother) for brunch the next morning, and he served up delicious hand-made beignets (a tradition my Dad started when we were little of having New-Orleans-style beignets on Christmas morning!).


Now Chris is back at work, his folks are out for lunch with a friend, and the boys are ensconced with Max and Ruby.  I am enjoying a relative moment of quiet and feel like it must have all been some vivid dream!  How lovely though to sit peacefully with a cup of tea, the Christmas lights on, and a blanket of powdery white snow outside.  Always nice to have the simple moments give meaning to the full and festive moments, and vice-versa.


I hope you all enjoyed the peaceful and the festive over the last few weeks.  Here are some photos I managed to grab of our home this year - I went for a little more gold and sparkles this year, and pulled out lots of my thrifted brass treasures!  The boys and I were a little sparkle factory here as well doing our Christmas crafts - I think we will be finding them around the house 16 years from now.


So friends, did you have a nice holiday? :)

11 comments:

  1. Everything looks so lovely and it sounds like you had a wonderful holiday! My boys are napping, so I think I will, too. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christmas day certainly has come and gone so fast! I too was working on home renos right up to the last minute - makes the season that much more exhausting! Your home looks so beautiful and the photos make it look so peaceful! Hope you enjoy the season and New Years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh the Christmas break naps - how lovely!! Enjoy. :) And Happy New Year to you and your as well Catherine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Carole, it is nice and peaceful when you get a moment to enjoy it. :) I hope that your renos went as planned and that you were able to relax a bit over the holidays. I hope you and your family have a wonderful new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful Christmas decorations!
    Mx humminbird-sing.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. barbara @hodge:podgeJanuary 1, 2013 at 10:24 AM

    Christmas did come quickly, didn't it? I felt stunned as well....but it was nice after Christmas to take it all in and simply relax! Your home looks so serene and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Megan! They are an on-going collection. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree - that week between Christmas and New Year's is such a lovely quiet lull, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  9. all of it sounds wonderful! we traveled for 2 weeks, it was busy and we celebrated Christmas several times but enjoyed every minute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was thinking a lot about those of you who travel for the holidays and celebrate several times - let me just say my hat is off to you!! It would be a wonderful time of connecting and laughing, but certainly doesn't seem all that relaxing. :) I am glad you had a great time Julia!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment - they always make my day!