Cam's new "vintage" big boy room

Big Boy Grey Gray Room turned bed

Cam has been having sleep troubles lately (ergo, we have all been having sleep troubles lately). In an effort to entice him to stay in HIS bed, we pulled out the turned-wood bedframe I bought at an auction in New Brunswick. I had intended to paint the frame, but I actually like the worn walnut colour.  Of course this prompted some full-on decor strategizing, and before I knew it I had the boys watching Netflix and was opening a mostly-full can of the paint left over from the basement.

vintage bed big boy room

The bed required a new mattress, so I headed to Ikea.  While I was there...I realized we would need a new duvet, and why not this young-but-not-too-cutesy duvet cover?  It's a dangerous place, that Ikea.

kids room wall art

Other than that, the room cost $0. All the big artworks on the north wall were feeling a bit too heavy for me, so I took them all down (except for Yara's of course!).  Suddenly I remembered these wooden figures were sitting in the garage, waiting for the perfect spot.  My neighbour had them out for a garage sale a few years ago (he's an antiques dealer) and when I asked about them he gave them to us.  I love the style of them - they look straight out of TinTin to me.  I have no idea what they were originally used for - they are all two-sided.

Big Boy Grey Gray room orange ikea vintage

I flipped up the Expedit shelf, and got rid of the little dresser - meaning all Cam's clothes had to go in the baskets (the white dresser is actually full of my husband's clothes!).  The artwork is mostly the same - Chris insisted that the elephant stay - and I love this photo of Chris and his brother when they were little.  I grabbed these un-used curtains and although they aren't very 'kid's room', I like how they go with the grey and white furniture.  I have a bigger, more substantial curtain rod I would like to put in, but it didn't get done - YET!


So to recap, it went from this:

 to this:

 to this:

And I might be done.  For now. 

24 comments:

  1. the bedroom looks beautiful! I love those wooden figurines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! The duvet is my favourite! I saw this room on Pinterest, had no idea it was your creation! Fabulous - you have such a talent for bringing it all together

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - I'm on Pinterest? It was probably my own pin that you saw... :) Thanks so much Barbara, your compliment has made my day. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Melody! I am glad you like them too! I wasn't sure if he would like them or if they would creep him out... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much! That is exactly what I was going for, I am so glad you left your comment! And it's funny, I don't remember seeing that duvet cover at Ikea before but when I was going through it jumped out at me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! From little boy room to big boy room!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Might be done? Girl, you better be done, its amazing! I love every detail... wall color, bed, duvet, vintage wood signs and all! Peefect. Just perfect. Now i have to ask, on the longer picture ledge/shelf did you have to put two together or is it one big long one? xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute. I love the Tintinesque characters on the shelves and the photo of your husband and brother and the blue you painted it and ... I hope the boy realizes he has a dreamy bedroom and decides to do some dreaming there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! Glad you still have the elephant up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Deanna! :) It will be tough to take down...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Grace, I wish I could say it worked but... hopefully soon! (Cause I am sooo tired)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Amelia! The bed is just the right size for him although it is not meant for grown-ups! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thats what I was hoping for! It certainly is a dramatic change for us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. YAY! Thanks my dear! I am pretty happy with it. The picture rails are from Ikea and those were the lengths we bought them in, but I don't know if they still carry them?

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks amazing, and so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So strange Lisa but every comment I see on this post has your name on it. Not sure if its just me that has that issue?

    Anyhoo, I love the room! I can't get over how much bigger it looks. Love the Tintin-esque art. It's so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I absolutely love it! You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Catherine! Now I am turning my attention to the other boy's room... :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much Julie! And thank for leaving a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So you got the duvet cover from IKEA? I love it so much, I've been looking all over for it but it's no where to be found. Help!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Also, the elephant painting is so adorable. I love it! Might have to try that in red for my little big man's new room. (Which I am changing for the exact same reason.)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I did get it from Ikea, do they no longer have it? It was at the Etobicoke store in Toronto, you could see if they still have it there! And thank you for the compliment on the elephant! We love him, especially since I made him when Cam was a few months old and he managed to get his hands in the painted bird in the corner and smear it - so we say it was a joint effort. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Beth! The colour is Benjamin Moore Half Moon Crest (#1481) and I really like it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment - they always make my day!