While on Shelterrific's blog today, I saw a post for a somewhat healthy chocolate cake in a mug, and thought of my Dear Aunt Daphne. You know sometimes you just need that hit of chocolate sinfulness, but don't want to make a whole cake, eat 1 piece and throw the rest away? (Not that anyone would ever do that of course...)
Well instead, you can make 2 servings in a mug in just a few minutes. Also, this recipe comes from the Healthy Recipe Doctor on WebMD, so it isn't as sinful as it could be.
Chocolate Cake In A Mug
4 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1/4 cup egg substitute (with yolk) or 1 egg
3 tablespoons lowfat milk or fat free half and half
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 tablespoons fat free sour cream
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons semi sweet chocolate chips (optional)
light vanilla bean ice cream (optional)
sliced strawberries or other fresh fruit (optional)
- In microwave-safe coffee mug, combine whole-wheat flour, sugar, and cocoa.
- Pour egg substitute or egg, lowfat milk, canola oil, sour cream and vanilla into the mug with dry ingredients and mix well with fork.
- Stir chocolate chips into the cake batter in mug, if desired. Place mug in center of microwave (preferably one that has a turn table) and cook on HIGH for 3 minutes. The cake will rise about an inch or so above the top of the mug (don't worry it won't drip down the sides of the mug).
- Let cake cool in mug for a few minutes then turn mug upside down over a serving bowl (the cake should slide out fairly easily).
- Cut cake in half for a smaller sized serving and top with a small scoop of light vanilla bean ice cream and sliced strawberries (or other fresh fruit).
Serving Suggestion: Serve with a scoop of light vanilla ice cream and some fresh fruit like sliced strawberries or raspberries.
Yield: Makes 2 servings
Per serving (if two per recipe): 240 calories, 7 g protein, 35 g carbohydrate, 8 g fat, .7 g saturated fat, 2 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 115 mg sodium. Calories from fats: 30 percent.